The City Manager is hired contractually by the City Council to oversee the day-to-day operations of the City organization. The City Manager serves as the CAO of the City and is charged with the responsibility of supervision, coordination, and administration of the City. The Manager must supervise all daily activities of the city and must review and oversee departmental operations. The following services are provided by the City of Russell:
- Utility Billing/collection
- Water treatment
- Water distribution
- Wastewater collection
- Wastewater treatment
- Electric generation
- Electric distribution
- Streets and Alleys
- Parks (including swimming pool)
- Sanitation & Recycling
- Fire & Rescue
- 911 Dispatch
- Planning and Zoning
- Codes Administration
- Human Resources
- Municipal Court
- Deines Cultural Arts Center
- Municipal Airport
- Municipal Golf Course
The City Manager and staff work to ensure that the city’s needs are met in an efficient and effective manner. The City Manager is also responsible for:
- Implementing policies established by the City Council.
- Recommending and administering the City’s annual budget.
- All personnel matters, including hiring, evaluation, discipline, firing, etc.
- Assisting in policy research and development.
- Preparing reports and agendas for meetings.
- Gathering data in response to citizen inquiries regarding City services or operations.